Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Balsamic-Glazed Chicken and Watermelon Salad

I would love to say that I had the brilliant idea to combine watermelon with feta cheese. Unfortunately, I'm not that intuitive. I came across the watermelon salad recipe while surfing the food blogs I read. I upped the amount of shallots, because I like them, but you have to give credit where credit is due. I was skeptical at first, but, low and behold, it tastes delicious. I wish I had found this earlier in the summer, because its perfect for a summer party. I decided to add chicken to complete it as a full meal. The tanginess of the balsamic and lemon, go great with the sweetness of the honey and watermelon. This is definitely a repeat meal.

2 Cups Watermelon, seeded and diced
2 tbsp. minced shallots
1/2 cup Feta Cheese
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. chopped Fresh Mint, washed

2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Sprigs of Fresh Mint for Garnish

Combine watermelon, shallots, feta, lemon juice and mint in a bowl. Toss and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Clean the chicken and remove any excess fat.
Heat the olive oil until the pan is really hot. 
Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
Drizzle honey and balsamic vinegar on both sides of the chicken.
Add the chicken to the pan, and saute on each side until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, depending on the thickness of the breasts, a total of about 10-15 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pan, and slice each breast lengthwise into about 4-5 strips.
To assemble the dish, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the salad onto a plate and top with the chicken strips. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. The watermelon with the feta cheese was a surprising treat. Who would of thought that the two would marry so well, but they do.

    ReplyDelete